Frances Marie Townsend married Dr George William Frederic Paul, son of George William Paul and Emily Parkins, on 27 December 1905 at St Kilda, Victoria. Dr George William Frederic Paul was born on 1 March 1864 at 'Joy cottage', Sandal Magna, Yorkshire, England. Frances Marie Townsend and Dr George William Frederic Paul were registered at 826 Vulture Street (Cnr Vulture & Main Sts), Kangaroo Point, Queensland, on the electoral rolls dated 1913, 1919, & 1925. Frances Marie Townsend is registered at 826 Vulture Street (Cnr Vulture & Main Sts), Kangaroo Point, on the electoral roll dated 1937. She is also registered that year at “Ilford”, Amarina Avenue, Ashgrove along with William Noel Paul and Hilma Brazier Paul. In 1943, she is back in Sandgate at “Ilford”, Sunday Street, but is also registered at Drayton Street, Nanango. She is living in Nanango with William Noel and Hilma at Drayton Street in 1949. She then moves to Sydney, and we find her at 10 Waratah Street, Darlinghurst in 1954.
Frances died on 20 September 1962 at the Eventide Home, Sandgate. She was buried at Toowong Cemetery. Frances Marie Paul died 20 Sep 1962 aged 86. She is buried with her husband, father in law and her son. The death registration for Frances Marie Paul confirms that she was the daughter of William Townsend and Elizabeth Thomas.
George died at sea on 19 March 1937 aged 73. It was near Fremantle. There is a memorial inscription at Toowong Cemetery with his father, wife and youngest son.
- William Noel Paul b. 27 December 1900 at Prahran, Victoria, d.?
- Emily Gwendoline Elizabeth Paul b. 23 October 1906 at Cobar, NSW, d.?
- Frederic Charles Paul b. 24 June 1917 at Vulture Street, South Brisbane, d. 25 June 1917.
Dr George William Frederic Paul had previously married Margaret Smith on 21 June 1886 at Berwick Upon Tweed, Northumberland, England. George was widowed on 4 May 1905 at Molong, New South Wales. (It is interesting to note that Dr. Paul and Margaret (or Marguerite) lived in Kate Street, Sandgate for some time, and their children were all born there. More details follow below.)
William Noel Paul was also known as Townsend in some records. He was born on 27 December 1900 at Armadale or Prahran, Victoria. He attended Cobar School, Sydney & Brisbane Grammar Schools - he later became a Chemist/Pharmacist and practiced in NSW and QLD, at Weston, NSW, and Kangaroo Point, Brisbane.
William Noel Paul married (1) Pauline Marlan on 22 May 1926 at Waverley district, New South Wales. The 1930 electoral roll has them living at Kline Street, Weston, NSW.
William Noel Paul married (2) Hilma Brazier du Rietz in 1935 at Brisbane, Queensland. The 1936 electoral roll has them living in Sunday Street, Sandgate. In 1937 this couple is registered on the electoral roll at “Ilford”, Amarina Avenue, Ashgrove. William Noel and Hilma are at Drayton Street in 1943 and they continue to live at that address until at least 1954.
Children of Dr George William Frederic Paul’s First Marriage
George was a doctor. MRCS, Eng 1885, LRCP, London 1886, MD Brussels 1886; MOH City of Brisbane since 1927; member British Medical Association; served Kangaroo Point Military Hospital 1914-18. The children of his first marriage were:
- Frederic Horace Paul b. 26 Feb 1889 at Sandgate, d. 26 Oct 1890 at Sandgate. Buried in Toowong cemetery.
- George Francis Paul b. 12 May 1891 at Kate Street, Sandgate, d. 18 Apr 1916 at Sohag, Egypt, aged 24, of smallpox at Sohag Government Hospital, Egypt, aged 24, and was buried the next day in the Coptic Cemetery 5 miles from Sohag. He enlisted on 21 August 1914, in Brisbane and was on his way
toout of Gallipoli when he fell ill.
- Arthur James Paul b. 18 Jul 1892 at Kate Street, Sandgate, d. 14 May 1932 at Manly, NSW. Arthur enlisted in 1915 and, like his younger brother, served in the Pay Corps in France. The electoral rolls show what appears to be a number of people by this name. His 1930 address is 31 Golf Parade, Manly, occupation clerk.
- Claude Turner Paul b. 10 Aug 1894 at Sandgate, d. 30 Apr 1964 in Brisbane. Claude enlisted in 1915, and served in the Pay Corps in the Middle East, France, and England.
Claude Turner Paul married Beatrice Margaret Perman on 7 January 1919 at St John's, Putney, Middlesex, England. A certified extract of their marriage certificate can be found in his war service records. The 1919 electoral roll shows him at Shorncliffe, a clerk. 1925 places him and Beatrice Margaret at Sunday Street, Shorncliffe, clerk. They lived at Aplin Street, Stanthorpe, Queensland, 1930. In 1943, he is a battery manufacturer living at Hardgrave Road, West End. 1949 has them at Durham Court, New Farm (as well as the West End address) and Claude is again a clerk. In 1954, they are back at 129 Hardgrave Road, West End, still a clerk.
- Frederick George Turner Paul b. 24 Jul 1920, d. 28 Aug 1996 at Sandgate.
Frederick George Turner Paul married (2) Ailsa Daphne Williamson on 2 August 1948 at Brisbane, QLD.
Frederic George Paul and Ailsa Daphne are at 129 Hardgrave Road, West End in 1949 at the same address as Claude (clerk) and Beatrice Margaret. 1954 sees them at 31 Dunbar Avenue, Morwell, Victoria, and Frederic George is in the RAAF.